Call for Applications at Universidad de las Américas Puebla (UDLAP) w Meksyku
2 lutego 2019 | Agata Stanisz
UDLAP Visiting Faculty:
Call for Applications
Universidad de las Américas Puebla (UDLAP) in Mexico is seeking applications for Visiting Faculty, for any academic term (Spring, Summer, or Fall), at undergraduate and graduate level. At UDLAP, the Spring semester begins in January and the Fall semester begins in August of each year. Semesters consist of 16 weeks of lectures plus 2 weeks for final examinations. Summer sessions are 4 or 5-week long, starting in late May and ending in late June, or starting in late June and ending in late July. Graduate courses are taught in trimesters (10-week periods), starting January, April, June, July, and October of each year. The deadline for applications for the each term is at least 3 months prior of the beginning of the desired term.
Universidad de las Américas Puebla is a top private university in Mexico, which offers study programs of academic excellence through its faculty of over 300 full time professors, of which 4 out of 10 are members of the prestigious Mexican National System of Researchers. We are a leading Latin American research-intensive university, which is accredited in the USA by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools – Commission on Colleges, and awarded with 5 stars by QS. Our beautiful campus is located in the historic and magic town of Cholula, a small, safe, and picturesque town near the city of Puebla, which is one of the largest and most important cities in Mexico.
Profile of Visiting Faculty:
As part of our internationalization strategy, we are looking for young academics or professors on a sabbatical leave from their institution who are willing to spend one term with us teaching and doing research. We are searching for enthusiastic academics in all fields of knowledge, and the Call accepts the nomination of recent PhD graduates and ABDs as well. We invite applicants from world-leading universities to apply, especially those who are looking to expand their teaching experience and are open to explore research opportunities. Eligible candidates shall be fluent in English (fluency in Spanish is not required, as courses shall be taught in English) and keen to interact with a different culture while sharing their academic and professional experience and their passion for international experiences
Duties of the Post:
– To join UDLAP for a full semester: 18-week academic term; for a summer period: 4 or 5-week intensive course; or for a trimester: 10-week academic term.
– If joining for a semester: to teach 4 courses of 6 credit hours each for a total of 24 Credit Hrs. at undergraduate level; or 3 courses (18 Credit Hrs) if research active.
– If joining for a trimester: to teach up to 2 courses of 6 credit hours each for a total of 24 Credit Hrs. at graduate level.
– If joining for the summer term: teach up to 2 courses of 6 credit hours each for a total of 24 Credit Hrs. either at undergraduate or graduate level.
– Each course at UDLAP considers 48 hours of instruction, distributed along the term (semester, trimester, or Summer).
– A degree of flexibility and combinations of the terms are also possible, as some overlap.
– To be available to students for academic mentoring, where visiting scholars are expected to advise students especially on topics such as international exchange, internships, and/or research.
– To be actively engaged in the academic life of the hosting department.
– Priority will be given to those open to engage in joint research projects that may lead to publications.
What we offer:
– An ideal academic opportunity to develop teaching skills in a research-intensive environment, which will prove valuable to applicants in their future search for a permanent position in their home countries or abroad.
– A salary of USD $4,000.00 per course taught (before taxes, around 25%).
– Please note that the participants must cover their travel, housing, meals, and other expenses including visa issuance costs and international health insurance.
How to apply:
To apply for one of the UDLAP Visiting Faculty positions, candidates shall submit the following documentation with at least 3 months of anticipation to the beginning of the term to which they are applying:
– A Cover Letter (no more than 1 Letter/A4 page), including a short research and teaching philosophy statement, and briefly
– Your resume along with scanned proof of your academic degrees.
– Names of possible courses or topics that you are qualified to teach.
After reception of this documentation, the institution will seek the approval from the Academic Department and School where the candidates shall be located, along with the approval from the Office of Institutional Academic Effectiveness. Both entities may request additional information from candidates, and even consider the possibility of doing a remote conference to discuss their profile and interests. Selected candidates shall be contacted to begin their administrative and migratory process two to three weeks after their nomination. Please be aware that for Spring nominations, extra time may be required as Winter break (Christmas) may delay the entire process for two or more weeks.
Please send all questions and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.