Migration studies: forced migration and political refugees, immigrant integration in North America and Europe, child and adolescent migrants, contested childhoods, Polish migration within Europe, migration of healthcare and social care workers, human trafficking;
Medical anthropology: refugee and migrant mental health, medicalization of human suffering, health disparities, refugees and migrants’ access to health care;
Methodological approaches: participatory action research, ethnographic interviews, focus groups, mobile and multi-sited ethnography, research ethics;
Applied anthropology: evaluation of migration policy and programs, monitoring and evaluation of programs for survivors of human trafficking;
- African Migration to Thailand. Race, Mobility, and Integration Routledge 2022. (Editor, with Supang Chantavanich)
- Europe and the Refugee Response: Crisis of Values? Routledge 2020. (Editor, with Izabella Main and Brigitte Suter)
- Children and Forced Migration: Durable Solutions during Transient Years. Palgrave. 2017. (Editor, with Marisa O. Ensor)
- Contested Childhoods: Growing Up in Migrancy. Springer Publishing. 2016. (Editor, with Marie Louise Seeberg)
- Migrant Children: At the Crossroads of Vulnerability and Resiliency. Palgrave: 2010 (Editor, with Marisa O. Ensor).
- Od gości do sąsiadów. Integracja cudzoziemców spoza Unii Europejskiej w Poznaniu w edukacji, na rynku pracy i w opiece zdrowotnej (From guests to neighbors. Integration of third-country nationals in the labor force, education, and health care in Poznan). Poznan: UAM Press: 2010 (Editor, with Natalia Bloch).
- Beyond the Gateway: Immigrants in a Changing America. Lexington Books: Lanham, MD 2005 (Editor, with Susan F. Martin)
SINGLE AUTHOR BOOKS
- International Migration. A quick Immersion. Tibidabo Publishing 2021.
- Human Trafficking as a New (In)Security Threat. Palgrave 2021.
- Trafficked Children and Youth in the United States: Reimagining Survivors. Rutgers University Press. 2016
- New Immigrants, Changing Communities. Best Practices for a Better America. Lexington Books: Lanham, MD 2008 (with Micah N. Bump).
- Palermo at 20: A Retrospective and Prospective. Special issue of The Journal of Human Trafficking. Volume 6. Issue 2 (Editor, with Kathleen M. Vogel).
- Polish Migration after the Fall of the Iron Curtain. Special issue of International Migration. 2015. Volume 52 Number 1 (Editor)
- Data and Research on Human Trafficking: A Global Survey. Special issue of International Migration 2005 43(1/2) (Editor, with Frank Laczko).
- Religion and Forced Migration. A Special Issue of the Journal of Refugee Studies. Volume 15 Number (Editor, with Dianna J. Shandy).
- Rethinking Refuge and Displacement. Selected Papers on Refugees and Immigrants 2000: VIII. American Anthropological Association, Washington, D.C. (Editor, with Dianna J. Shandy).
- European norms and values and the refugee crisis (with Izabella Main). In Elżbieta M. Goździak, Izabella Main, Brigitte Suter (eds.) Europe and the Refugee Response. A Crisis of Values? Routledge 2020.
- Concluding thoughts (with Brigitte Suter). In Elżbieta M. Goździak, Izabella main, Brigitte Suter (eds.) Europe and the Refugee Response. A Crisis of Values? Routledge 2020.
- Of Will or Force? Contesting Assumptions about Child Trafficking. In Marie Louise Seeberg and Elzbieta M. Gozdziak (eds.) Contested Childhoods: Growing Up in Migrancy. New York: Springer Publishing. 2016.
- Data Matters: Issues and Challenges for Research on Trafficking. In Molly Dragiewicz (ed.) Global Human Trafficking. Critical Issues and Contexts. London and New York: Routledge 2015.
- Dreams Deferred: The Effects of Undocumented Status on Latino Youths’ Education and Livelihoods. In Lois Lorentzen (Ed.) Hidden Lives and Human Rights in the United States: Understanding the Controversies and Tragedies of Undocumented Immigration. ABC-CLIO 2014.
- Empirical Vacuum: In Search of Research on Human Trafficking. In Rosemary Gartner and William McCarthy (eds.), The Oxford Handbook on Sex, Gender, and Crime. Oxford University Press: 2014.
- Global Trends, Local Outcomes: Globalization and the Foreign-Born Temporary Labor Force in the Shenandoah Valley Apple Industry. In David Griffith (Mis)managing Migration Guestworkers’ Experiences with North American Labor Markets. SAR Press: 2014 (with Micah N. Bump and B. Lindsay Lowell)
- Culturally Competent Responses to the Effects of Armed Conflict on the Well-Being of Refugee Women. In John Tirman and Susan Martin (Eds.), Women, Migration, and Conflict: Breaking a Deadly Circle. Springer 2009.
- Pray God and Keep Walking: Religion, Gender and Identity of Refugee Women. In Maroussia Hajdukowski-Ahmed and Nazilla Khanlou (eds.) Not Born a Refugee Woman. Reclaiming Identities: Challenges, Implications and Transformations in Research, Education, Policy and Creativity. Berghan Books 2008.
- Promising Practices for Immigrant Integration. In Elżbieta M Goździak and Susan F. Martin (Eds.) Beyond the Gateway: Immigrants in a Changing America. Lexington Books: Lanham, MD 2005. Pp. 241-276. (with Michael J. Melia)
- Challenges for the Future. In Elżbieta M Goździak and Susan F. Martin (Eds.) Beyond the Gateway: Immigrants in a Changing America. Lexington Books: Lanham, MD 2005. Pp. 277-285. (with Susan F. Martin).
- Illegal Europeans: Transients Between Two Societies. In David W. Haines and Karen Rosenblum (Editors). Undocumented migrants in the US. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press 1999.
- Eastern Europeans. In David W. Haines (Editor). Case Studies in Diversity. Refugees in America in the 1990s. Westport, Connecticut: Praeger 1999.
- Eastern Europeans. In David W. Haines (Editor). Refugees in the 1990s: A Reference Handbook. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press 1996.
PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- “I am making good money, but…”: The precarious situation of Polish nurses in Norway. 2021. International Migration. Early View https://doi.org/10.1111/imig.12874 (with Izabella Main)
- From Going Abroad to Settling Down… While Remaining Mobile? Polish Women in Norway Narrate Their Migration Experiences. 2021. Nordic Journal of Migration Research 11(1): 50–64 (with Izabella Main and Leszek Nowak).
- Contesting flexible solidarity: Poland and the ‘migration crisis’ (with Izabella Main). Frontiers in Human Dynamics: Refugees and Conflict 2: Article 562682.
- Transnational Mobility and Social Remittances: The Case of Polish Women in Norway and Poland. 2020. Ethnologia Europea 50(1): 159-175 (with Izabella Main)
- Palermo at 20: A Retrospective and Prospective with Kathleen M. Vogel). 2020. Journal of Human Trafficking 6(2): 109-118.
- Low Hanging Fruit: How Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking Erased Foreign-born Victims of Child Trafficking from Anti-trafficking Efforts in the United States. 2020. Journal of Human Trafficking 6(2): 226-233.
- Multiple belongings: transnational mobility, social class, and gendered identities among Polish migrants in Norway. 2019. Social Identities, DOI: 10.1080/13504630.2019.1677458 (with Marek Pawlak)
- Paperless and Jobless: The Undocumented Status and Access to Employment among Latino Youth. 2019. Studia Migracyjne – Przegląd Polonijny, 2019 45(1):25-39. DOI 10.4467/25444972SMPP.19.001.10251
- Where the Wild Things Are: Fear of Islam and the Anti-Refugee Rhetoric in Hungary and in Poland. Central and Eastern European Migration Review. Published online: 21 June 2018, pp. 1–27. doi: 10.17467/ceemr.2018.04 (with Péter Márton)
- Theorizing Polish migration across Europe: Perspectives, concepts, and methodologies. 2016. Sprawy Narodowosciowe. Seria nowa (Nationalities Affiars. New Series). 48: 106–127 (with Marek Pawlak).
- Sukces czy porażka? O Polakach powracających “z zycia na ulicy” w Wielkiej Brytanii. Studia migracyjne 2(60): 97-118 (with Izabela Czerniejewska)
- Biała emigracja: Variegated Mobility of Polish Care Workers. 2016. Social Identities 22(1): 26-43.
- To Dream or Not to Dream. The Effects of Immigration Status, Discrimination, and Parental Influence on Latino Children’s Access to Education. Migration Studies 2(3): 392-414 November 2014
- Aiding defeated migrants.” International Migration 52(1): 87-99. January 2014 (with Izabela Czerniejewska)
- Misconceptions about human trafficking in a time of crisis. Forced Migration Review 45: 58-59. February 20014 (with Alissa Walter).
- Empirical Vacuum: In Search of Research on Human Trafficking.” In Rosemary Gartner and William McCarthy (eds.), The Oxford Handbook on Sex, Gender, and Crime, Oxford University Press 2014.
- Children trafficked to the United States: Myths and Realities,” Global Dialogue 14(2) Summer/Autumn 2012.
- Ten Obcy. Stosunek Wielkopolan do cudzoziemców. (The Other. Attitudes of the Wielkopolska Residents toward Foreigners), Przeglad Wielkopolski 2012 1(95): 17-28 (with Leszek Nowak).
- Challenges, Dilemmas and Opportunities in Studying Trafficked Children in the United States.” Course Reader eBooks. Belmont: Wadsworth Cengage Learning: 2012
- Identifying child victims of human trafficking: Toward solutions and resolutions.” Criminology and Public Policy 2010 9(2): 245-256.
- On Challenges, Dilemmas, and Opportunities in Studying Trafficked Children” The Anthropology Quarterly Fall 2008 81(4): 903-923.
- The Care of Unaccompanied Undocumented Children in Federal Custody: Issues and Options” Protecting Children 23 (1) January 2008 (with Micah N. Bump).
- Closing the Gaps: The Need to Improve Identification and Services to Child Victims of Trafficking.” Human Organization Summer 2007 66(2): 171-184 (with Margaret MacDonnell).
- Coming Home Whole. Reintegrating Uganda’s Child Soldiers,” Georgetown Journal of International Affairs Summer/Fall 2006:57-65 (with Lorea Russell).
- Training Refugee Mental Health Providers: Ethnography as a Bridge to Multicultural Practice. Human Organization 63(2): 203-210, Summer 2004.
- Introduction: The Role of Religion and Spirituality in Forced Migration (with Dianna J. Shandy). In Elzbieta M. Gozdziak and Dianna J. Shandy (Editors) Religion and Forced Migration. A Special Issue of the Journal of Refugee Studies. 2002. Volume 15 Number 2.
- Spiritual Emergency Room: The Role of Spirituality and Religion in the Resettlement of Kosovar Albanians. In Elzbieta M. Gozdziak and Dianna J. Shandy (Editors) Religion and Forced Migration. A Special Issue of the Journal of Refugee Studies. 2002. Volume 15 Number 2.
- Violence as a Political Instrument: An Anthropological and Public Health Perspective. Social Justice: Anthropology, Peace and Human Rights 2 (1-2): 1-23. Winter/Spring 2001.
- Rethinking Refuge and Displacement. Selected Papers on Refugees and Immigrants 2000: VIII. American Anthropological Association, Washington, D.C. (Editor, with Dianna J. Shandy).
- Operation Provide Refuge: The Challenges of Integrating Behavioral Science and Indigenous Approaches to Human Suffering. With John J. Tuskan, Jr.
- Teaching About Refugees and Immigrants: A Resource Guide for Educators. Refugee Reports Winter 1996.
- Needy Guests, Reluctant Hosts: The Plight of Rumanians in Poland. The Anthropology of East Europe Review, 13(1): 9-14.
- Cyganed [Gypped] Out Of Refuge: Rumanian Gypsies in Poland. In Jeffrey MacDonald and Amy Zaharlick (Editors) Selected Papers on Refugee Issues 1994: III,. American Anthropological Association, Washington, D.C. 1994.
- Elders in a New Land: What Providers Need To Know to Serve Older Refugees. The Aging Connection, April/May 1990, pp. 7-10.
- From East to East: Refugees from Rumania in Hungary. Migration World, No. 5, 1989, pp. 7-9.
- New Branches, Distant Roots: Older Refugees in America. Aging, 359, 1989, pp. 2-7.
- Using Fear of the “Other,” Orbán Reshapes Migration Policy in a Hungary Built on Cultural Diversity. 2019. Migration Information Source. October 10, 2019.
- Erasing Polish Anthropology? Anthropology News website, December 7, 2018. DOI: 10.1111/AN.1051 (with Izabella Main)
REPORTS AND EVALUATIONS
- In search of data and research on human trafficking: Analysis of research-based literature (2008-2014). Washington, DC. July 2015
- What kind of Welcome? Integration of Central American Children into local Communities. Report prepared for the J.M. Kaplan Fund. Washington, DC. February 2015.
- Data and Research on Human Trafficking: Bibliography of Research-Based Literature 2008-2014. Washington DC, February 2015
- Stop Girl Trafficking. An Evaluation of the AHF-RHEST Anti-Trafficking Project. Report prepared for Humanity United on an anti-trafficking project in Nepal. Washington, DC. 2014.
- Crossing Borders: Improving Protection for Asian Migrant Workers in Qatar. Evaluation Report of the Solidarity Center’s Anti-Trafficking Project prepared for the US Department of State. 2012.
- Evaluation of the Office of Child Labor, Forced Labor, and Human Trafficking Technical Cooperation Program: Report on the Site Visit to Cambodia. Report prepared for the US Department of Labor. Washington, DC 2010.
- Evaluation of the Office of Child Labor, Forced Labor, and Human Trafficking Technical Cooperation Program: Report on the Site Visit to Nepal. Report prepared for the US Department of Labor. Washington, DC 2010.
- The Role of Immigrant Care Workers in Aging Societies. Washington, DC 2009 (with Susan F. Martin, B. Lindsay Lowell, Micah Bump, and Mary Breeding).
- Data and Research on Human Trafficking: Bibliography of Research-based Literature. Report to NIJ. October 2008.
- Victims No Longer: Research on Child Survivors of Human Trafficking for Labor and Sexual Exploitation in the United States. Research report to the National Institute for Justice. Washington DC 2008 (with Micah N. Bump).
- Good beginnings, promising futures. Children with migration background in Polish schools. October 3, 2022-October 2, 2026. Funder: Narodowe Centrum Nauki.
- Norms and Values in the European Migration and Refugee Crisis (NoVaMigra). April 1, 2018-July 31, 2021. Funder: Horizon 2020.
- Migration for welfare: nurses within three regimes of immigration and integration into the Norwegian welfare state. January 1, 2016-December 31, 2019. Funder: Research Council of Norway.
- Mobile Lives, Immobile Realms? Female Mobility Between Poland and Norway. October 1, 2015-September 30, 2018. Funder: Polish National Science Foundation.
- Trafficking Survivors Return Home: An Exploratory Study. September 1, 2014-January 31, 2016. Funder: National Science Foundation.
- Facilitating Local Integration of Central American Unaccompanied Children and Adolescents. June 1-December 31, 2014. Funder: J.M. Kaplan Fund.
- Stop Girl Trafficking: Evaluation of an Anti-Trafficking Program in Nepal. May 1, 2013-December 31, 2013. Funder: Humanity United.
- After Rescue: Evaluation of Strategies to Stabilize and Integrate Adult Survivors of Human Trafficking into the United States. January1, 2013-December 31, 2014. Funder: National Institute for Justice (NIJ), US Department of Justice.
- Urban refugees in Malaysia. June 2013-December 2014. Funder: Georgetown University.
- Health Disparities and Children in Immigrant Families: Developing Research Agenda through Participatory Action Research with Immigrant Youth in Washington, DC. May 1, 2012-June 30, 2013. Funder: Georgetown University Initiative on Reducing Health Disparities
- Urban Refugees in Cairo and Amman. September 2010-August 2011. Funder: Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration, US Department of State.
- Evaluation of Anti-trafficking Program in Qatar. October 2010-December 2012. Funder: J/TIP, US Department of State.
- Foreigners in Poznań. Immigrant Integration in the Education, Health Care and Labor Market. January 2010-September 2010. Funder: European Integration Fund.
- Undocumented Children. October 2009-January 2011. Funders: Barrow Cadbury Trust and The Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- Child Labor and Child Trafficking. Evaluation of the Office of Child Labor and Child Trafficking Activities in Cambodia and Nepal. October 2008-March 2011. Funder: US Department of Labor.
- The Role of Migrant Care Workers in Aging Societies. 2008-2009. Funder: Nuffield Foundation and The Atlantic Philanthropies.
- Constructing the “Other”: Cultural and Linguistic Representation of Polish Attitudes toward Foreigner. October 2008 and September 2009. Funder: Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES).
- Data and Research on Human Trafficking. June 1, 2007-May 31, 2008. Funder: National Institute of Justice (NIJ), US Department of Justice.
- Victims No Longer: Research on Child Survivors of Trafficking for Sexual and Labor Exploitation. September 1, 2006-August 31, 2007. Funder: National Institute of Justice (NIJ), US Department of Justice.
- Poultry, Apples, and New Immigrants in the Rural Communities of the Shenandoah Valley: An Ethnographic Case Study. August 1, 2003-July 31, 2006. Funder: US Department of Agriculture.
- New Immigrant Communities: Addressing Integration Challenges. September 1, 2001-August 31, 2003. Funder: Smith Richardson Foundation.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2017 Fulbright Senior Specialist (Slovenia, December 2018)
2017 Faculty Fellow, Center for Social Justice, Georgetown University
2016 George Soros Visiting Chair, Central European University, Budapest (Fall 2016)
2015 MISOCO Scholar (Teaching scholarship in Bilbao May 2015)
2015 Fulbright Senior Specialist grant (Thailand and Indonesia Summer 2015)
2011/12 Doyle Faculty Fellow 2011-2012
2008 Fulbright four-months research grant; Poland; November and May-July 2009.
2006 Fulbright Senior Specialist grant in Anthropology; Poland; Oct.–Nov. 2006
2006 Fellow, Bellagio Dialogue on Migration (June-July 2006)
2003 Special Recognition Award, Georgetown University
2000 US DHHS Secretary’s Award for Distinguished Service
1999-2002 Refugee Women’s Network, Advisory Council Member
1998-present Women’s Commission for Refugee Women and Children, Commissioner
1998 Certificate of Appreciation for Commitment and Support of the Office of Minority Health and its Mission to Improve the Health of Racial and Ethnic Minority Populations in the United States
1994-1998 Women’s Commission for Refugee Women and Children, Board Member
Associate Editor: Frontiers in Human Dynamics, Refugees and Conflict (2019-present)
Editor-in-Chief: International Migration (2004-2014)
Editorial Board: Central and Eastern European Migration Review; Lud; Przeglad Polonijny; Journal of Human Trafficking; Journal of Migration and Border Studies; Journal of Refugee Studies;
Manuscript Reviewer: Journal of Refugee Studies; Georgetown Journal of International Affairs, Medical Anthropology Quarterly, International Criminal Justice Review, Contemporary Social Science, Criminology & Public Policy, Lud, Studia Teologiczne.
Research Grants Reviewer: National Science Foundation; Polish National Science Foundation.
Georgetown University Institutional Review Board (IRB)—Vice-Chair (2010-2018)
International Association for the Study of Forced Migration (IASFM), Board Member
American Anthropological Association (AAA), Member
Committee on Refugees and Immigrants (CORI), Executive Committee Member
Society for Urban, National, and Transnational Anthropology (SUNTA), Past Secretary and Contributing Editor
Society for the Anthropology of North America (SANA), Member
Society for Medical Anthropology (SMA), Member
Society for Applied Anthropology (SfAA), Fellow
Doctoral dissertation committees
Anzhela Popyk, SWPS University of Social Sciences and Humanities, 2022
Ashvina Patel, Southern Methodist University, 2016-2017
Nihal Celik, Doctoral Dissertation, University of Maryland, College Park 2012
Marina A. Amat, Doctoral Dissertation, American University 2005
Sandra Crewe, Doctoral Dissertation, Howard University 1997
Master’s and student research committees
Madison Ashley, Kalorama Research, Georgetown University, 2015
Asif Majid, MA Honor Thesis, Georgetown University, 2014/2015
Joanna Foote, BA Honor Thesis, Georgetown University, 2012/2013
Claudia Gilmore, BA Honor Thesis, Georgetown University 2009
LANGUAGES: Bilingual in English and Polish. Fluent Russian. Beginning Spanish. Learning Korean.